Samstag, 2. Juni 2018

The Assembly


Soon the old man came back and gave me the promised book. It was about first steps in faith. He said vividly "My wife wants to see you. So would you come with me to meet her?" "Yes, why not?" I said, and we left the room. 
    Two minutes later I was again in the large hall where the rock concert had taken place. This time it was only half-filled with people sitting and standing, some of them talking with one another.
     Carl led me into one of the front rows, and then he suddenly stopped and said, "This is my wife Margot!" And to her, who had now just risen from her chair, "And this is Heiner, the young one, who has just become a Christian!"
    She, perhaps 20 years younger than her husband, smiled heartily at me: "Ah, you are the one! Welcome in faith! I am sure you will never regret it."

So, I talked with her for a while, when suddenly from the stage in front of us, singing voices and instruments could be heard. I looked up at it with astonishment and saw some young men and women standing there, some with guitars. In the back a young man was sitting behind a percussion.
    Now, singing began from the entire room. I may have looked puzzled, so Margot said: "Ah, the church meeting has started. I hope you will stay!"
    I hesitated! To stay for a longer time  in this place had not been my intention.  But the singing was very peaceful and joyous, showing good harmony. Carl`s wife said "Later, there will also be preaching! You should stay. You can learn so much from it!" And so I stayed!

The singing went on. Many of the people were standing in front of their seats, raising their arms into the air and singing enthusiastically with closed eyes. "That`s called Worship of God!" whispered Margot.
     Indeed, the songs were mostly about God, Jesus or the Christian faith. But they were totally different from those I knew from my youth. These songs were here very simple and cheerful. I liked them immediately and after a while, I joined in singing the texts, which were projected on a wall behind the stage.
     Suddenly, maybe after half an hour, the whole assembly clapped their hands, shouting: "Praise the Lord", "Hallelujah" or "Amen".  Then after a perhaps a minute the jubilation ebbed down and the whole assembly sat down. The worship team left the stage.
    The room lights were dimmed leaving only the stage lights for illumination. A man perhaps 35 years of age went up the stairs onto the stage. He sported an impressive beard and held a big book in his right hand. "That is the pastor of the Jesushouse!" said Margot. "He will preach now!"

He spoke slowly and with a soft voice. And he talked about a verse from the Bible: Except you are born again through water and spirit, you cannot see the Kingdom of God. (John 3,3)
     It was Nicodemus, a Jewish teacher, who had asked Jesus what were the requirements for eternal life. And this was the answer he got from Jesus.
    The pastor spoke over an hour about this theme in different variations. But  his central message was simple,  "You have to be born again through faith in Jesus. Otherwise you are lost forever!"
     Honestly spoken, I may have heard that message before, but never in such a clarity! At some point of his sermon I realized that I was now a born-again Christian, too! And I felt happy!

So when he had ended with his preaching, there was soft music from a band followed by a Pastor`s call for those who want to become a Christian: "Today is the day, the Lord says. I have called you by your name. Do not hesitate! Come forward and give me your life!"
     It needed some minutes before a considerable crowd of people had assembled in front of the stage. Meanwhile a choir was singing softly in the background and the pastor`s voice could be heard from time to time saying "Thank you, Lord" and "Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!
    At last the choir stopped singing and after a moment of complete silence the Pastor started praying. "Oh, God, you are great and very merciful. And you see us standing here in front of you. Oh, Lord! Please look at those who have followed your call and accept them as your followers as you have promised. And please guide and protect them so they can grow in faith. Watch over them, as we all know that the devil does not sleep in his constant attempt to pull them away from their new faith. Oh, God, you are so great and merciful and you love your children." And after a short, "Amen!" And all agreed, "Amen!"
     Now, the pastor smiled and said cheerfully:”I welcome you all in the family of God. You are now a child of God, and He will guide and protect you. Praise the Lord!” And again the whole assembly started clapping hands and shouting cheerful proclamations.

At last everything came to a conclusion and the pastor said, "The hour is already late, so we finish now the official part of the assembly. But you may stay here in the building and have a few extra moments to talk with others, or to drink some tea in our tea-room."
     Tea-room! That sounded like an excellent way to finish the day with a cup of tea in a relaxed manner. I started toward the exit.
I had gone some meters, when I suddenly heard the pastor`s voice again.  
    "Sorry, I forgot to mention: For those, who want a personal prayer, please stay here." I looked back. "Perhaps you have problems or you want confess sins such as robbery, adultery or occultism! Or if you have another reason, then please stay here. We shall pray with you!"
   
Occultism?  What is that! I remembered, that I once had read in an esoteric store some book titles with that word. I hesitated and asked myself, Have I perhaps something to do with that occultism? 
   So, as I was about to go back in, I saw there were many people standing around the pastor already. No, I decided, I would have to wait too long.
   An idea came to mind and I thought it over. Then I bowed my head and said in a low voice, "Jesus, this is my very first prayer as a Christian. If I have anything to do with occultism, please let someone in the tea-room start talking about it. Then I will know for sure that I have something to do with it! Amen!"
   Then I left the hall!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen