Samstag, 2. Juni 2018

An old Book called Bible


I felt a little bit depressed and also exhausted. What should I do now waiting for tomorrow?  Going home and get sleep? It was only 6 o`clock in the evening! Too early for sleeping! And, this was perhaps my main reason, I could not bear to be alone at this juncture. I decided to ride my bicycle into town.
    As I approached the city, I was surprised to see so many people, especially younger ones, walking in groups or alone in the direction of the old town of Duesseldorf. Some went quietly, but there was mainly the sound of laughter and singing.  
    I recognized that many of them were coloured in purple and white and carried a rucksack on their back. What is going on here in town? I decided to ride into the old town, too.

 After arriving there, I saw that the area was filled with crowds of people. This was most unusual for a Wednesday. And many display stands had been built in front of the pubs and restaurants. Now I was really getting curious! What is going on here?
    I locked up my bicycle and went to one of the stands. It was one with tracts and some books. And then I read:
CHURCH DAYS in Duesseldorf from June 6-10, 1985!
   I was a little bit puzzled that I had not heard it before. It seemed to be a great event and normally you know about these things when they come to your own town. But I lived on the outskirts and had no TV, radio, or newspaper at home.

    Nevertheless, I was really pleasantly surprised.  It would help to forget about Juergen for a while and to distract my thoughts with some new and possibly interesting things. And also I was relieved to be around people with cheerful hearts, so, I started to walk around!

 At first it took me by surprise that there were so many political things to see at the stands. I asked myself, How is this possible? These are Church Days! I would have expected more religious, especially Christian themes.
    After a while I suddenly got an idea I’ll buy a Bible! A bible? For a moment I was surprised about myself. Since my early school days I had not read from it and until this very moment it had remained far from my thoughts.
    Ironically Juergen, a convinced atheist, had once advised me to read the Bible. And I had answered him, "Why should I? It is full of legends and fairy tales!" And he had only laughed and said, “Nevertheless, you should!"
     And also the "relatives" had sometimes referred to the Bible. For example in quoting a Bible passage. But I had never been able to prove it, because I had no Bible at home.
    So both may have influenced unconsciously my upcoming wish now. Perhaps I would find some kind of consolation and also some sense of direction to take with the coming death of Juergen. At least this might have been my hope. So I started looking around for a stand selling bibles.

 After searching for a while without success, I began to feel a little confused, How could it be, that at a church festival of such extent with so many book stands yet not a single Bible to be found for sale? Suddenly, I heard singing from inside a church and I went in.
    To be honest, it was the first time in many years. The last time I had been in a church was on Holy Night in the home village of my parents when I was younger. At that time it had been due to some sense of sentimental desire or perhaps hoping to hear something useful or inspiring that I had walked into the church service.
     But once inside I had not been able to stand it. Right in the middle of the pastor’s preaching, I had stood up abruptly, made my way out to the aisle, and marched right out of the church without looking back!

 This time there was no preaching, because it was at the end of the service. The closing blessing was given and then another song. After that, I found myself surrounded by folks streaming out of the church.
    A few minutes later, I stood outside in front of the church wondering what to do next when I realized that in the neighboring house there was a big party of young people.
    Normally I do not like being around such events with so many young people and so much noise, but suddenly I felt or became aware of a strange, but persistent, inner feeling, Go inside, you will find a Bible there! 
     For a moment I was bewildered but then decided to give it a try. What’s to loose? I walked over to the door and stepped inside.

 When I reached the first floor there was a long table with books displayed and many more similar things. Immediately on looking, I saw a small section with some Bibles. Why am I not surprised? I asked myself smilingly.
    It took just five minutes to decide on a bible written in modern German. So it would be easier to get through than the old stuff. 10 deutschmarks seemed to be an excellent price for it. I paid and left the building.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen